Hawking Craig is the area next to the sea just off the Happingcraig Plantation. This area is quite overgrown with vegetation and there are some steep cliffs hidden away so some care needs to be taken.
At the base of the cliffs there is a cave and a spring called the 'Wishing Well". The cave was excavated in 1879 and is 27 foot long and 6 foot high and wide.
Three floors were visible, one at 18 inches, another at 30inches, and the third 39 inches deep. Each were formed of layers of sea shells on layers of ashes and trodden sand. Deer, pig, sheep, ox, and goat bones were found at all levels, horse bones between the upper and second, and dog bones between the middle and third floors. A bone object with a square hole at one end was found on the second floor, and a flint object came from immediately above the lowest floor.
A slate object was round in the debris. Some slag and pottery were found, the latter included a coarse, unglazed, reddish type and a thinner, better type with a green glaze. The bone implement and some pottery fragments are now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. The cave is located behind the buildings shown on the image.
A cairn used to stand on the level piece of ground between Hawking Craig and the sea, where local tradition states that a skirmish took place shortly before the battle of Largs in 1263.