The Hunterston Resting Tree was an Ash and in 1892 was photographed with Dr Landsbourgh from the Glasgow Naturalist magazine and was a resting place for travellers before going on their merry way.

It was located outside the entrance to the Walled Garden and on the route of the old Coach Road. The road curved round at the Turret and ran pararel with the Walled garden before turning back past the front of ther castle and onto the current old road alighnment.

The building in the background of the image is of the old coach house and gardeners cottage that was demolished in 1912.
© 1999 - 2018