The Hunterston Resting Tree was an Ash and in 1892 was photographed with Dr Landsbourgh from the Glasgow Naturalist magazine.

It was always claimed that the tree was located at the entrance to the Walled garden but this is not the case. It was nearby but was actually located on the other side of the current footpath and where the carpet of bluebells usually grow and where the tent of Queen Mother's visit was located.

The building in the background of the image is of the old coach house and gardeners cottage that was demolished in 1912.
© Virtual Hunterston