The lower garden is located to the east of the turret behind the beech trees and in the area called Moory Nooke. It is a small garden that was used by local residents of the cottages from the 1960s onwards to grow vegetables and also grow some plants along with a place to hang out their washing but the garden has been there much longer than this.

Old maps show the garden existing as far back as 1865 and was probably used by servants and staff to grow basic foods and dry laundry as was out of the way and not visible by the laird of the land.
© Virtual Hunterston